STRATEGIC PLAN 2016-2021
MISSION, VISION, VALUES
INFLUENTIAL. INSPIRING. GET INVOLVED.
“The Canadian Association of Municipal Administrators (CAMA) is recognized as the premiere national Canadian organization representing municipal administrators”.
- To be the national membership of choice for local government professionals across Canada.
- To enhance innovative opportunities and professional development to increase CAMA members knowledge transfer and experience sharing around good local government management values and practices.
- To ensure CAMA is providing new and existing municipal administrators with information, and a network, that assists them in their role, encourages the next generation of leaders and, promotes the importance of the Professional Municipal Administrator.
- To enhance and promote one consistent identity/profile to obtain the respect of our stakeholders.
- To support members in making connections and building beneficial professional relationships.
- To ensure CAMA is reminding/educating members of the key components of a professional, respectful relationship between municipal administrators and Councils and how to attempt to deal with specific situations that members are encountering that undermine that healthy relationship. Help members be resilient and maintain a healthy understanding of the municipal administrator role versus the Council role.
- To build strong relationships with key stakeholders. Initiate, strengthen and leverage relationships with international, national and local organizations to create excellence in municipal government.
“To champion excellence in municipal administration and develop resilient leadership through professional development, networking, partnerships, and advocacy.”
Promoting an ethical culture is a key leadership responsibility in local government. CAMA members value accountability and professional integrity, collaboration, transparency and honesty, innovation and excellence and diversity and inclusivity.
Accountability and Professional Integrity
Members of the Canadian Association of Municipal administrators (CAMA) are dedicated to the highest standards of professionalism in all public and personal relationships. We work hard to earn the respect and confidence of our elected officials, employees, the public and other stakeholders. We
strive to improve our professional standards every day and support the development of strong, positive values within our workforce. We take responsibility for outcomes within our municipalities and conduct ourselves with integrity at all times.
We recognize that the chief function of local government is to serve the best interest of our communities, provide excellent public service, and enhance the quality of life for its citizens. We also respect each other and commit to work together, sharing knowledge and resources, in partnership towards a common goal.
Transparency and Honesty
We build open and honest relationships with communication and are ethical in all interactions, maintaining principled standards modeling the conduct that we would like to see in others. We are objective and independent from personal considerations when undertaking all professional duties. As well, we ensure that information provided to the public and elected representatives is factual and impartial.
Innovation and Excellence
We commit to innovation and excellence in local government by implementing new processes and organizational change. We also endeavour to create an environment/culture that embraces positive change, creativity and continuous improvement.
Diversity and Inclusivity
We respect and value diversity, creating and leading an environment throughout the organization that is inclusive of all, and one in which everyone demonstrates value and delivers on their responsibilities. We commit to individual and organizational efforts to build respect, dignity, fairness, caring and equality.
CAMA has identified the following pillars for our Strategic Plan for the period 2016-2021 that will continue to be the focus for the Association’s future programs:
- Provide members with leading edge trends, tools and best practices for local government management through state-of-the-art sharing and professional development opportunities.
Networking and Partnerships
- Create strong, strategic relationships.
- CAMA is well recognized as the national “Go To” experts in Municipal Administration
Member Engagement and Support
- Deliver networking opportunities to engage and connect members.
- Increase the membership by attracting, maintaining and engaging members from large, small, and remote municipalities with an emphasis on balance and diversity.
- Intentional about ensuring success of the profession.
- Foster a professional, respectful relationship between municipal administrators and Councils.
Objectives, activities and performance metrics have been identified for these pillars which are expected to be completed by 2021.
Click here to read the full 2016-2021 CAMA Strategic Plan (Updated March 2021)
Click here to read the Executive Summary of the 2016-2021 CAMA Strategic Plan.